Friday, June 3, 2016

Bdan's Top 25 Films Of All Time

Bdan's Top 25 Films 


Welcome, to Bdan's top twenty-five films of all time! I am starting a new series of blogs were I am doing lists and this is the first list I wanted to write. It is very daunting to pick and number these movies, but I've worked on that for a few months re-watching all to prepare. Obviously this list will be very subjective to my personal favorite films and you may or may not agree. This is not the definitive list and it will contain some art-house type films as well as some blockbuster non-sense. I just hope you enjoy my list and let me know if you agree or disagree. 

25. The Evil Dead

I gotta start off by saying that this film is just flat-out fun in my opinion. This Sam Raimi classic is easily on of the most re-watchable movies on my list just because of how campy yet creepy it is. Every time I watch this movie I feel inspired to get a camera and some friends and shoot a cheesy horror film. While I really enjoy Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness as well, this one is my favorite by far.

24. The Dark Knight

Next on my list is my favorite comic book movie of all time. Everything in this movie works so well to create the perfect comic book film. From excellent writing and directing to magnificent performances this film does it all for the genre. A believable story with grounded yet interesting characters, this movie never loses steam and will be looked back with reverence for years to come. 

23. American Psycho

This is a very divisive film, you either adore it or loathe it. It is a very dark comedy/drama that I believe most people should at least give a chance. It's showcases great directing and one of my favorite performances of all time, that of Christian Bale's Patrick Bateman. A movie that is infinitely quote-able that will also make you think. It is a very different film that I re-watch quite frequently. 

22. Back to the Future

Easily being my favorite Robert Zemeckis film, Back to the Future is just a fun film. A fun adventure comedy with a fun tone and memorable characters. Michael J. Fox shines in this role and shares great chemistry with Christopher Lloyd. While I don't think any of the sequels are as good as the original, they are all great films and enjoyable to marathon. 


21. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

I know that a lot of people probably enjoy The Two Towers or The Return of the King more than the first, but I personally enjoy Fellowship much more. Not only is it our introduction to this world and these characters, but it showcases the best tone and pacing of the franchise. Balancing fun character moments alongside big action set-pieces, Fellowship just works better for me on every level of film-making. 

20. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

This movie is one of those films that make this feel like my list.This film did poorly at the box office and hardly made any money, however that isn't the end-all-be-all for a films quality. Even the best films bombed commercially and critically. But this movie right here, is a special one for me. Edgar Wright brings to the table one of the most faithful adaptations of time, while also making an incredibly entertaining film on it's own. Being in my opinion one of the best edited films of all time, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World excels at every point it needs to. 


19. The Incredibles

Considered to be one of the best and most original animated films in Pixar history, The Incredibles doesn't only just work as a kids movie or even just a super-hero movie, it also makes for an awesome spy thriller. With a fantastic voice cast with even better directing, this film never has a dull moment. Easily the most re-watchable movie Pixar has created, The Incredibles is one of the most desired franchises from the studio. 

18. Fight Club

I would start this off by saying I'm breaking the first and second rule, but c'mon everyone makes that joke. Fight Club is also one of those films that at the time of it's release, it didn't make much money and a good amount of critics hated this film. With a film this engaging and interesting, I'd never understand its original criticisms. The film boasts knock-out performances, a marvelous screenplay, and David Fincher's stellar directing that leaves the audience in utter delight. 

17. Under the Skin

Being the most recent film on this list, Under the Skin absolutely earns its place. One of the most intriguing films I have ever watched, it constantly kept me on edge and enthralled. After the credits started to role I was silent for a couple minutes, trying to comprehend the genius directing I had just witnessed. If you haven't seen this film yet, please try it out for yourself. 

16. Inglorious Basterds

I first watched this movie when I was a little younger and my attention span was not quite up to snuff yet, so after my first viewing of this film I didn't like it a lot. But after re-watching the film around three years ago, it quickly became one of my favorite Tarantino films to date. With dialogue as sharp as knife and tension that can be cut with one, all of Tarantino's trade-marks are here and at their highest effect. This film also has one of my favorite movie endings of all time, making me clap and cheer. 

15. Jurassic Park

The first Spielberg film to end up on my list, Jurassic Park is an obvious choice for this list. Spielberg's choice to include animatronic dinosaurs alongside CGI dinosaurs is brilliant as the film still holds up very, very well. The acting in the film is also great, the stand out being that of Jeff Goldblum who apart from the dinos, steals the show. With an incredible score by the always magnificent John Williams, Jurassic Park is always a fun film to pop in any day of the week. 

14. Raiders of the Lost Ark 

Coming in at number 14, another Spielberg movie takes its place. This film spawned on of the greatest trilogies in cinematic history, not counting the awful fourth film which we won't discuss here. My personal favorite of the franchise, the first film flawlessly introduces us to the character of Indiana Jones played superbly by Harrison Ford. The action sequences that occur in this movie will make your jaw drop and keep you on edge. Not to sound like a broken record, but John Williams score once again knocks it out of the park here with an amazing score. Spielberg's direction is also great here, further cementing him as a film legend. 

13. The Big Lebowski

I will try extremely hard not to reference this movie here, but this is easily the movie I reference the most of any film ever.When I first saw this film however I didn't really get it. However upon multiple viewings, the brilliance of The Big Lebowski really showed itself.  While I also love the comedy Airplane, this is absolutely my favorite comedy film of all time. The acting in this film is magnificent with every single actor and actress nailing every scene in the film. The Coen Brothers writing is as prodigious as ever crafting my favorite screenplay of theirs. If you have not yet seen The Big Lebowski, do yourself a favor and watch it. If you watch it and don't like it; Yeah, well, that's just like your uhhh, opinion man. 

12. Toy Story 2

In my opinion this is one of the rare times that a sequel is better than the original film. Toy Story 2 boasts the same stellar voice cast and fun tone while also going deeper emotionally than the first film. The film also has one of the most emotional scenes in Pixar history with Jessie's reveal of her past experience with her "kid". Also in my opinion this film has the best pacing of all other films in the trilogy. I adore the entire trilogy, but only one could end up on the list. 

11. No Country For Old Men 

My personal favorite of all the Coen Brother's films, No Country For Old Men is one of the most intense and intriguing films I've ever seen. A film that is exemplary from all aspects of film making. The acting is top notch with Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones doing incredibly well, but the stand-out being Javier Bardem. Javier, as well as the Coen's, create one of the greatest villains in film history. Speaking of the Coen's, their direction is on the top of their game as well crafting great scenes and seamlessly setting tone. Another thing of mention is the masterful cinematography by my personal hero Roger Deakins, shooting and lighting some awesome shots. 

10. Her 

Films, like all other art forms, are supposed to make you feel a certain or many emotions. Her is a beautiful piece of art that always makes me feel an array of emotions. Everything about this film works so well to create this not-so-distant future that is believable and feels genuine. The characters are also amazingly realized by such great talent as Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansson, and Amy Adams. Spike Jonze delivers in my opinion the best and most emotional love story I've ever seen on the silver screen. 


9. Psycho 

Now lets discuss a completely different emotion, fear. The only Alfred Hitchcock film to appear on this list, Psycho is his undisputed masterwork. When re-watching this film for purposes of this review, I was shocked how well this film held up. Even though I had seen it a few previous times when I was younger, the film still had my eyes glued to the screen in suspense. Anthony Perkins delivers one of the most iconic performances in cinematic history as the seemingly harmless Norman Bates. Also containing one of the best endings of all time, Psycho was an obvious choice for my list. 

8. Drive

If you read my review for this film you'll already know this, but when I first saw this film in 2011 I wasn't very into it. I didn't love art house cinema yet and I wanted a standard Hollywood action romp when I originally watched it. However, re-watching this film a couple years ago I realized something. This film is brilliant. Ryan Gosling has one of his best performances ever as "The Driver" as he creates this character that doesn't have much dialogue but you understand and sympathize with him. All the other acting in the film is great, especially Albert Brooks who plays a believable gangster. The cinematography is also amazing, showcasing beautiful shots that have a lot to say. The soundtrack is also spot-on, introducing me to this incredible new genre of music. I could go on forever, but the list must go on. 

7. Se7en

I promise that when I was making this list, I did not intentionally put this film on this spot. Just a funny coincidence. The second David Fincher film to appear on this list, Se7en is a very disturbing film that earns it shocking ending. All the acting in the film is phenomenal with Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman and another amazing performance (which I won't spoil if for some reason you have not seen this yet) creating characters you invest so much into that you feel all their emotions. Not a very re-watchable movie, but a must-see piece of cinema that had to appear on my list. 


6. Alien 

I know what you're thinking, "How could he choose Alien over Aliens?" My answer is that I prefer the claustrophobic, science-fiction nightmare that is the original over the action packed sequel. The tone this movie creates is instantly thick with tension. While the first hour of the film would be considered to be too slow to a modern audience, I think it immerses you and makes the second and third act of the film that more terrifying. The world this movie creates feels real and lived in. No set in this film feels like a set, it feels like actual locations on a ship or on a strange world. The design of the Xenomorph is so striking, it has become an iconic image of film. Most of these praises attributed not only to director Ridley Scott, but also to the brilliant artist H.R. Giger. I compel you to re-watch this film to fully appreciate it's mastery as it holds up extremely well and will still scare the hell out of you. 

5. Pulp Fiction

First thing I have to mention about this film is that it was completely robbed of the best picture Oscar in 1994. I'm sorry, but Forrest Gump is no where near as amazing as this Tarantino classic. There is not much to say about this movie that hasn't been said a million times already, but this film contains probably my favorite screenplay of all time. The way this film tells it's story is so unique and stylistic, not following traditional three act structure. The way the film can completely jump around in time was a gutsy choice but it paid off immensely. The acting is also terrific, most notably the performances by Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta, and the brief but incredible Harvey Keitel. Although Tarantino's directing isn't his best, the screenplay and the acting makes this his best work in my opinion. 

4. Jaws

Jaws is like a fine wine; it gets better as it ages. The mere sight of the poster or the sound of the iconic theme always make me want to watch this film as soon as possible. To my surprise while re-watching this film for this list, it's still had me on the edge of my seat. I've seen this movie probably a hundred times but it stills gets to me. I think my constant viewing of this film as a child is what made me so terrified of the ocean. Just by the opening scene this film makes you genuinely afraid and the film holds that fear until the very end. It shocked me to not only find out how the film manages to scare me after repeat viewings, but just how incredibly the film holds up. There is not a single shot that felt dated to me. The characters in this film are so amazingly realized, I think people over look just how well the acting is handled in this film. You cannot talk about Jaws without mentioning it's perfect original score and fantastic direction. Without either the film would not have worked out as stunning as it did. I can talk about Jaws for hours, but I can't. Hopefully sometime in the near future I will do a full review for the film. 

3. A Clockwork Orange

I can never hear Singing in the Rain the same ever again. From the breathe-taking first shot until the credits roll, you are completely transfixed on the artistry that takes place on screen. For those of you who are un-aware, Stanley Kubrick is my favorite director. The entirety of his filmography would be on this list but that would be too unfair to other films. While this is not a very fun or heart warming film, I find myself re-watching it more often than I would expect. Analyzing not only the films profound story, but appreciating the flawless technique that is Stanley Kubrick's film-making. Malcolm McDowell absolutely nails the role of Alex, which is harder to pull off than you might think. You can't play for sympathy with such a despicable character but he has to be relatable enough to be sympathetic to his struggle later in the film. The music in the film is also superb, coinciding with the beautiful imagery seamlessly. A Clockwork Orange is a genuine masterpiece; perfectly shot and acted while also having plenty of sub-textual substance. Enough to make you desire to watch this film many more times. 

2. The Shining 

I know, another Kubrick film, but trust me, it deserves it's place here. I flip-flopped on Clockwork and Shining so much, but I ultimately decided on this arrangement because I love The Shining a little bit more than Clockwork. Once again Kubrick creates a masterpiece of cinema that people to this day are still analyzing for hidden meanings and story interpretations. There is an entire documentary called Room 237 about that very thing and while a lot of it is crazy people finding things that aren't there, there are some very interesting theories. 
The Shining is a film that always gets under my skin. It captures tension and dread like no other film I have ever seen. Jack Nicholson, in his best performance of his career, sends shivers down my spine to this day. The film is my favorite horror film of all time, yet it never falls into horror cliches or stereotypes. It never goes for cheap jump-scares or loud noises. It achieves scare through brilliant story-telling and directing. A psychological horror story that will stick in your mind for hours and days. Not to sound like a broken record, but once again, Kubrick's shots/direction is phenomenal. Creating a masterpiece that makes it's novel counterpart look much less impressive. 


1. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

I know what you're saying. Calling me a fanboy and whatnot. But hear me out on why I picked this for my number one film of all time. Am I a Star Wars fanboy? Yes. But that is only partially the reason I chose this film as number one. 
The Empire Strikes Back was one of the biggest gambles in film history. Following up the highly successful and highly fun original with a much darker and thought provoking film is very risky. I wasn't alive when the film released (obviously) but I heard people that did say that they left the theater in 1980 confused and lukewarm. It wasn't until the entire trilogy had been released that they realized how brilliant and bold the second installment actually was. The film expanded it's world even more, making this universe feel tangible and explorable. The characters actually have progression and inner conflicts that work for the story. They explore Darth Vader as an actual character instead of stereotypical-evil-spaceman. And I cannot talk about Empire without mentioning the shocking twist at the end of the film, creating one of the most iconic movie moments ever. Director Irving Kershner really had an understanding of where to take this story and knew how to craft a beautiful yet dark film that makes an impact. The music is of course masterful as John Williams creates the best original score of his career. Everything about this movie is absolute perfection. I do not have a single flaw with Empire, and it without a doubt is my favorite film of all time. 

Outro:

Thank you if you have actually made it this far into this blog. I just realized that my number one and number two films both came out in 1980. Fun fact. It took me around three months of watching films and ordering them, changing the order constantly. I thought this list would be easier write than it actually was, and I had to omit a lot of films I love. I'll probably soon do a follow up of some of the films that barely missed the list. Once again thank for reading. Let me know what your favorite films are or just tell me my list is dumb. :)

2 comments:

  1. Haven't seen half of these haha! But glad an Indiana Jones made the list. I know my list would definitely include a few sports movies! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading it! It was pretty difficult to narrow down to my favorite Indiana Jones film.

      Delete